Friday, June 10, 2011

Full.of.RAGE.


Reasons I Hate My Phone
(Blackberry Curve 8530)


Camera sucks
  • no flash
  • poor image quality
  • impossible to take photos in low light
  • no customization available for photos
  • can't take action shots at all
Memory issues
  • restarts randomly
  • can't handle very many apps
  • runs very slowly when anything other than basic items are open
  • freezes all the time
  • claims to be able to use pandora but LIES because it FREEZES
Inferior options
  • crappy app selection
  • even apps in the BLACKBERRY APP WORLD are crap and won't work with this phone because it's cheap and old and dumb and worst
  • apps are all $5 (free apps suck)
  • updates take forever to install (constant restarting)
  • web browser/capabilites are crappy
  • youtube viewing is mediocre
Sound sucks
  • people can't hear me when i have it on speaker
  • I can't hear people when i have it on speaker
  • ringtones/music sound crappy
Battery life sucks
  • every app drains life
  • bluetooth connection drains life
  • wifi drains life
  • texting drains life
  • mms drains life
  • being ON drains life
Screen is too small
  • poor viewing of webpages
  • poor viewing of youtubes
  • poor viewing of lolcats
In order to upgrade my phone, I have to renew my contract for another 24 months...and every 14 and 22 months after that I am eligible for a discounted upgrade ($75 credit and $150 credit, respectively). Back when phones were $200 - $300, this seemed like a pretty sweet deal. Now that phones cost as much as a laptop (the Nexus S 4g is $549.99...the HP Pavillion laptop? also $549.99), I've soured on smartphones/cell phones all together. I'm not too great at math, but it seems like getting a basic flip phone (hello high school!) and investing in a tablet or more portable laptop might be cheaper in the long run than getting a new phone every 2 years that will just be obsolete 6months (I'm being generous) after purchase.

But I'm a consumer whore, and I will eventually get a new phone. And I'm a net-addict, so it will be a smartphone. Ergo, it will be expensive.

When I bought this much loathed phone about a year ago, it was an impulse purchase after my much-loved still-weeped-for Blackberry Curve (OG!) died a most painful and heartbreaking death. The phone was already obsolete...couldn't handle the new rim OS, apps killed it, etc., but I was in love. I had customized and personalized that phone so that it was 100% KP. When I had to buy this phone, I thought upgrading to the "newer version" of the Curve was a logical step with little risk...it's basically the same phone, right?

WRONG.

The old Curve was gloriously ahead of its time with a superior calendar, email and app selection than many phones at the time...the new Curve is overshadowed by often cheaper and more customizable androids (I won't speak of the iPhone), and even other Crackberries. All the best parts of the old Curve were stripped down from the new one (flash, camera quality, customizable trackball...etc.). And since having upgraded, smartphone technology has made huge leaps and bounds and has left RIM/Blackberry in the dust and left me. . . resentful.

-k.







No comments:

Post a Comment