Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hair Repair

Recently, I have been on a quest to take better care of my body, mentally and physically; I have cut out fast food and have been cooking as close to organic as I can at home. Based on this I have started exploring more natural means for having healthy hair. In the past I have browsed going the no shampoo route and, as awesome as people say it is, I can't bring myself to totally ditch it (part of the reason being that the area that I live in has incredibly hard water which makes you feel completely skeezy without scrubbing down). All of that to say, I went on a quest to find a way to deep condition my hair without having to spend a lot of money or using chemicals. That led me to the treatment below which my co-author and I will be attempting and then updating with the results.

Olive Oil Hair Treatment

INGREDIENTS:

(enough for 1 or 2 treatments, depending on the length and thickness of your hair)

½ cup olive oil
5 drops frankincense essential oil (others may be substituted, if you wish)
1 plastic bag that can fit over your hair

1. Pour olive oil into a jar with a lid, then add essential oil. Put lid on jar and shake well to disperse the essential oil. Let sit for 24 hours in a cool, dark place. Shake again before use.

2. Rinse hair with warm water. Warm 1 tablespoon of oil treatment in the palms of your hands. Using your fingertips (not nails), gently massage the oil into the scalp in a circular motion. Repeat until the entire scalp has been massaged. Rub the ends of your hair with the remaining oil.

3. Place a plastic bag over your hair, secure by tying or with a hair clip or clothespin, and allow the oil to remain for at least a half-hour.

4. Rinse well, then shampoo as usual.

Treatment originally found here

No comments:

Post a Comment