Thursday, June 2, 2011

spelling, grammar and other nuisances



At what point do we give up and just alter the meaning of words? We seem to be willing to create words easily enough..."wassup" was just recently added to the Oxford English dictionary (p.s. thanks, Budweiser!). I'm first to admit that my online etiquette when just casually chatting or browsing is not one that portrays an air of sophistication, but I don't think that internet memes and shorthand have changed my handle of the English language. I still know the difference between your and you're (and use them correctly unless character limits force me to use the dreaded "ur").

I'm actually trying very hard to resist the temptation to write in strictly non-caps (lower-case letters are just more aesthetically pleasing!).

At work, I have had to abandon my love for the serial comma and single spaces after a period (no serials unless absolutely necessary and 2 spaces after a period ALWAYS!!!).

I think we need to go back to the fundamentals.

-k.

No comments:

Post a Comment