Thursday, June 9, 2011

Eyes, Lips, Face

Makeup. Love it or hate it, most of us use it.

For the longest time, since I started wearing makeup in High School, I swore by Bare Minerals, Smashbox, Urban Decay, and M.A.C., etc. I thought that price = quality. For the most part, those brands were great; they lasted almost a full day, provided adequate coverage, and didn't make me break out.

Then, the recession happened. My wallet kicked and screamed and cried every time I had to buy mascara (goodbye, Dior Show). I was forced to look for another cheaper less expensive alternative.

That's when I was referred to E.L.F.. I forget who referred me, or if I found them through my own clever detectiveness, but I'm sure glad I did.

Now, while their makeup may not be 100% of the quality (or 100% of the color choices) of some of the other mainstream brands, their prices, shipping discounts, specials, and online ordering make up for a lot of what might be lacking. And as a plus, they're well on their way to improving each item and are introducing new items all the time!

Here are some of my favorites/makeup staples:

Tinted Moisturizer
I wear this every day (Apricot Beige). A little bit goes a long way, and it's especially great during the summer. It never makes my skin break out, doesn't aggravate any of my numerous allergies, and leaves my skin looking revived, fresh, and dewy. In the summer, I'll wear it on it's own with a little bit of blush (listed below) and mascara (not from e.l.f.) and head out during the day to work, beach, disneyland, etc. Lighter coverage, but great for evening out skin tones and highlighting the face. At night, or if I'm looking for more coverage, I'll put a little bit on my face under the Mineral Foundation powder (see below) and it provides a great base and helps the mineral powder stay put longer.

Blush
I like Glow and Innocence (Shy is too pink, brings out my red undertones). This is a great blush to dust lightly over cheeks, and I love wearing a little bit of Glow on my cheeks over just the tinted moisturizer. At night, use the blush with a little bit of bronzer for a slightly more dramatic affect.

Mineral Foundation
This.Stuff.Is.Awesome. I SWORE by Bare Minerals, but this stuff is about 85% as good. It actually feels like it covers better, but weighs less than the bare minerals stuff. They don't give you as much in the little tub, but for $5 you can't beat the price. I use the Light foundation (sometimes warm if the summer months are good to me), and typically dust it over my face with a Kabuki brush. If I need specific spot coverage or I'm feeling extra sassy and want more, I use a more concentrated brush (that actually came with my bare minerals set). This is great as foundation on its own, as a light powder to set a liquid foundation, over a tinted moisturizer, or as a quick refresher to even out skin tone. You can layer more or less depending on what you need, and it never feels heavy.

Concealer
I use this under my eyes, mostly (apricot beige). I have some pretty serious bags about 99% of the time, and a swipe and dabble of this camouflages them pretty well! I don't recommend this for spot coverage over discolorations or pimples (a bit greasier than I would like), but it's good if your skin looks sallow or you have bags like mine!

Cream Eyeliner
This is my favorite eyeliner. I use their liquid eyeliner, too, sometimes (in black) when I want to be dramatic, but for an every day, day or night eyeliner, their cream line is the best. The black is great for doing a smokey eye, but the brown is the cream of the crop. Dark enough to look sexy, but muted enough to be appropriate for brunch on the beach. Goes on smooth, and if you put a primer on your lids, it won't goop or gump.

Lip Color
Hypershine Lip Gloss, I own it in Flirt (I like peach-tones, can you tell?). The greatest thing about this gloss is that you can determine how much color you want by twisting the bottom. If you like just a touch of color, a couple clicks and it will lightly glaze your lips with a hint of pink...more color, click the darn thing about 8 times and you will have a full-on painted pout. It will rub off (so easy on the drinks and kisses), but it looks and feels awesome and actually conditions your lips.

I still use traditional drug store brands for things like Mascara, or name brands for dramatic looks with lots of eyeshadow (Urban Decay ftw!), but for the basics and every day - E.L.F. has the eyes, lips, and face covered.

- k.

No comments:

Post a Comment